Using a microSD card with your Wyze Cam gives you the ability to record continuous footage and recorded events directly to your local microSD card. You'll also be able to record Time Lapse videos.
Step 1: Grab a microSD card.
Any microSD card will do, but we're partial to our Wyze 32GB MicroSDHC card available in the Wyze Shop. If you're using your own card, Wyze cameras are compatible with Class 10 cards in FAT32 and exFAT formats.
* We have tested with cards up to 256GB when formatted as exFAT. Even larger cards may work, but this has not been tested on our end.
Step 2: Insert the microSD card into your Wyze Cam.
The slot is located on the bottom of every Wyze Cam, with a few variations. On Wyze Cam v3, for example, it is located under the silicone flap on the bottom of the camera.
Step 3: Format the microSD card.
If the microSD card has been used before, we recommend formatting the card when you install it in your Wyze Cam.
To do this, tap into your camera’s live stream from the Home tab and tap Settings > Advanced Settings > Manage MicroSD Card > Format.
⚡️Heads up! Formatting the card will erase all of the existing content, so be sure to back up your files if there are any you want to save.
Step 4: Record to the microSD card.
Enable on local recording to your microSD card so you can record Event videos directly to the card, rather than in the cloud.
Step 5a: View recordings from the Live stream.
- In the Wyze app, tap into your camera's livestream.
- Tap View Playback.
- Tap and drag the timeline to view the recorded video for a specific point in time.
- Available footage will be highlighted in the timeline.
- Pinch and zoom on the timeline to select a specific point in time.
Step 5b: View recordings from the Events tab.
- In the Wyze app, tap on the Events tab to select an event to view.
- Tap Playback to view the recording from the microSD card.
Additional Notes about Continuous and Events Only Recording
- Your camera will continuously record video to the microSD card, giving you the option to have constant recording available for playback later - no subscription required.
- The cam can still create alert videos that are captured and stored on the cloud based on the camera’s other recording settings.
- The video length depends on the size of your microSD card and your recording settings.
- To set the recording quality, tap into your camera's livestream, then tap HD, SD, or 360p.
- Note: If the livestream is set to 360p, it will record to the card in SD.
- When the microSD card is full, it will overwrite the oldest footage and roll forward.
- This feature is not available on Wyze Cam Outdoor.
Events Only Recording
💡Tip: Recording Events only is an excellent way to preserve space on your microSD card.
- Your camera will only record video if motion is detected.
- This feature breaks the video feed into 1-minute increments. If a motion is detected at any point within a 1-minute increment, that 1-minute increment is recorded to the microSD card. This means that the camera will record continuously when there is motion, and will not record when there is no motion detected.
- Just like Continuous Recording, this is independent of the Events that are captured and stored on the cloud based on the camera’s recording settings.