Detection Settings and Zones allow you control when, where, and how motion is detected. Only want to detect motion at your front door, driveway, or that small area around the cookie jar? This is the article for you.
Skip to section:
- How Motion Detection works
- Detection Settings
- Detection Zones
- How to set up a Detection Zone
- Additional Notes
How motion detection works
Wyze Cam detects motion by comparing pixels changing between video frames. "Motion" is recorded when large clusters of pixels change over time. This large cluster can mean a small object moving close to the camera, or a big object moving farther away (like a tree blowing in the wind).
Whenever motion is detected, the Wyze Cam v3 will have its status light flash red briefly to indicate an event has been recorded.
You can set the sensitivity of your Wyze Cam in Detection Settings. There, you’ll see a slider with a range of 1-100. This slider will adjust the percentage of changed pixels needed to generate an event video.
To change the settings, go to your Wyze app and pick the camera you would like to edit. This will take you to the Live Stream of that camera. Then tap the Settings icon on the top right. From here, tap Detection Settings.
The Detection Zone feature allows you to define a specific area that you want your Wyze Cam to detect motion in. Everything outside of the zone is ignored and will not trigger an Event Video (if Motion Detection is turned on) or Motion Tracking (if Motion Tracking is turned on).
You can use Detection Zones to exclude frequently or publicly accessed areas, such as sidewalks or roads, or only to watch a doorway.
To set up a Detection Zone:
- In the Wyze app, pick the camera you would like to edit by selecting it to enter the live stream.
- Tap the Settings gear > Detection Settings > Detection Zone.
- Toggle Detection Zone On.
- With the Detection Zone on, draw on the grid to set your motion detection target area. The Detection Zone will be saved automatically.
Some behaviors to note when using a Detection Zone with your Wyze Cam Pan:
- The Detection Zone will only be active when the camera is in the position you selected when you set the Detection Zone. If you (i) manually move the camera away from the Detection Zone OR (ii) if the camera moves away from the Detection Zone following motion when Motion Tracking is turned on, after 15 seconds of inactivity (no motion detected) the camera will automatically return to the position you selected when you set the Detection Zone and will reinstate the Detection Zone.
- When you turn on the Pan Scan feature, your Motion Detection Zone setting will be changed to fullscreen (Detection Zone will be turned off). You can turn your Motion Detection Zone back on once you have turned off the Pan Scan feature.
- If you have Motion Tagging turned on, Motion Tagging will frame motion that occurs anywhere in the fullscreen, not only motion in the motion detection zone. However, only motion detected in the detection zone will trigger other actions based on your settings (Event Video, Motion Tracking, etc.)